First of all let me give you some info on what trying to do, I have a toshiba laptop with vista and I just got another computer that has xp on it, I would like to turn the xp into a slave. (storage) | (Although that looks less and less possible by the minute!!!) I do not want to uninstall the os on the xp because it is a windows xp professional copy. So if anyone has any sugesstions let me know, I have a bridge cable, (no working driver) the one I downloaded did not work, it crashed my computer. If anyone knows how to do this though usb-usb without a driver and using no internet, xp has none, please help me! I am open to anything, command line or whatever. I know I'm asking a lot, so thanks in advance if anyone can help!

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Are the 2 on the same network, just setup a network share on the xp machine and use it as the storage device

Are the 2 on the same network, just setup a network share on the xp machine and use it as the storage device

No, sorry, they are not on a network, the xp does not have internet, I have a usb-usb (without the driver) and I am wondering if there is anyone that have a way to use that to connect them. I was thinking maybe a some sort of command file to tell it to connect via usb.

I was looking at this topic (if only quickly) and looks like a PLAIN USB CABLE ---will not work---. It looks like you need a special cable. Here's yet another add for a proprietary cable to do what you are asking.

http://readerszone.com/tools/share-files-using-usb-cables.html

Looks like that's your answer, for USB, anyway.

But If you can buy a CROSSOVER cable. What that does is allow you to connect 2 ethernet ports directly (IF you can get them both setup for a peer to peer style network.)

Other than THAT...
in the "old days" they had "direct cable" a feature using the parallel port to interconnect PC's but they dropped that in Vista.

Here,
I just found a site that seems to confirm you need the proprietary cables for a USB interconnect. Vista calls it "Windows Easy Transfer".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_cable_connection

Happy Wednesday
Steve

Looks like that cable is going to cost about 50 dollars (retail).
I'd suggest just buying a crossover cable, or using a cheap hub or switch (from a friend if YOU don't have one) and just setting up a peer to peer network and sharing files. I myself wish I could spend more time to actually concentrate on walking you thru some stuff, or otherwise directly helping, but I actually can not stay with this topic any longer (for now/today), but I'll check back later. ...You can find guides and clues online for setting up a network. Just keep asking questions along these lines in search engines. Hope some of this helps guide you along....havagoodone!

sorry I did mean to say crossover... my bad.

Looks like that cable is going to cost about 50 dollars (retail).
I'd suggest just buying a crossover cable, or using a cheap hub or switch (from a friend if YOU don't have one) and just setting up a peer to peer network and sharing files. I myself wish I could spend more time to actually concentrate on walking you thru some stuff, or otherwise directly helping, but I actually can not stay with this topic any longer (for now/today), but I'll check back later. ...You can find guides and clues online for setting up a network. Just keep asking questions along these lines in search engines. Hope some of this helps guide you along....havagoodone!

I am working with a crossover but, no driver for it sorry I should have been more specific, I just need to know how to work a crossover cable without a driver.

PL-2301 USB to USB Bridge Controller (EOL) is the exact cable model, it seems I'm not the only one with this problem, I found a driver but it still does not work. The driver is attached in a zip file if anyone wants to see it. Also please note, The cable is a usb-usb bridge cable, I did not have the driver initially and now I do and it still does not work, If anyone can help me with this pleas let me know, I am getting no errors form windows whatsoever, it should be working to the best of my knowledge. I was not too specific when I first described the problem sorry....

Never mind.... I made a stupid mistake, I only tried one of the ports, I never switched the place it was plugged into, I plugged in a different port on my vista and it works now.

excellent

You got it working? Excellent!

Please how did you make it work on Vista? Withi this driver: pl2301_v1642?

Never mind.... I made a stupid mistake, I only tried one of the ports, I never switched the place it was plugged into, I plugged in a different port on my vista and it works now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.