Hi everyone,
I have a somewhat newer dell dimension desktop computer. Earlier, the hard drive went out and so I had to replace it. I went and bought a new hard drive and installed it. I then formatted it and re-installed windows xp onto the system. There is just one problem now, The computer is set in a 800 x 600 resolution with 16 bits of color. That is the only setting available in the display properties screen. Does anyone know if there is like some kind of graphics driver or something I have to load onto the computer to get the graphics back to normal? Thank you for your help and I'm sorry if this is a dumb quesiton, but I am fairly new to hardware and reinstalling Operating Systems and such
Thanks in advance,
Nick

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Everybody's a newbie at some time, and most who aren't computer geeks will stay computer illiterate.
First, as a side note, Dells aren't great. They can have some odd little bugs that screw things up. If you are looking to play games, Dells are horrible. For everyday wordprocessing and whatnot, they are capable but run-of-the-mill, and, like I said, a bit odd. That's not to say they are horrible. It's just wiser to buy from a different company in the future, or, if you have a technical friend, throw some cash at him and he can build you something suitable for what you want to do.

Anyway, sorry about that little rant.
First, do you have an included CD for the PC? It may have much needed drivers on it.
Next, I'm going to need more information to help you. I need the name of your graphics card, or if you don't have one, your motherboard. To find your graphics card, run 'dxdiag.exe' and open the graphics tab at the top of the window. If you don't know where that is, just run a search for it.
The motherboard is harder to find, so we'll leave that for now.

did any one suggest me a free download graphics card for smooth scrolling . mine is windows xp service pack 2 mchine.

did any one suggest me a free download graphics card for smooth scrolling . .

yeah his name was Santa Clause ,the free card arrives late Thursday night .lol

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.