Ok, so you've seen a rash of posts from me in the last few hours. Now it's my turn to beg for help.
1st topic: My computer freezes at random times. Each time may have something in common though. So far it happens while I'm using the internet to some greater degree than just surfing. I dunno if this will help, but here's what hijack this says:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:44:15 PM, on 8/20/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ASUS\Probe\AsusProb.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Alex\Desktop\HijackThis1991.exe

O2 - BHO: Trixie.Bho - {B0744341-96E0-4341-9ED2-8BC36CE0CCD0} - mscoree.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nForce Tray Options] sstray.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtomicTime] C:\Atomic Clock\AtomicTime.exe s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ASUS Probe] C:\Program Files\ASUS\Probe\AsusProb.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {20CCCFEC-D26F-4ffe-996B-388B39C8CCCA} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\mscoree.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Tri&xie Options... - {20CCCFEC-D26F-4ffe-996B-388B39C8CCCA} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\mscoree.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1124562063022
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{FFB95860-0133-4E4B-B509-5D5318BB3C89}: NameServer = 192.168.1.1

Does that help? Specify any information you need and I will give it. I just scanned for viruses using housecall, and deleted one infection.
In addition, I upgraded my motherboard yesterday, and finally got everything working when these problems popped up.

Issue 2: For some reason my LAN keeps uninstalling itself. Not a huge ordeal because I can just reload the drivers to get it working again, but iit gets annoying.

Save me jebus! :lol:

Seriously though, please help. :(

EDIT: New problem just popped up! Oh joy!
Issue 3: My integrated sound card decided to unintegrate itself. My computer can't detect it, probably from lack of drivers. The card is Nforce2 I believe.
I'll see if I can fix that myself.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Update:
It seems to happen 2 or 3 minutes after I start up the bit torrent program '*******'.
It may have happened at a different time, but the computer ALWAYS freezes a couple minutes after I start *******

Hi Kintak,

I'm afraid it's against forum rules to assist with P2P / file-sharing (http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_faq#faq_rules)

Note: HijackThis logs are to be posted only in the Virus forum, but I don't see anything in your log to indicate a problem.

Issue 1.) Does this problem occur with both IE and Firefox?

Have you tried cleaning out your cookies, Temp files, cache, etc.?

How much RAM does your system have?

Issue 2.) Not sure about this, I'll see what I can find out.

Issue 3.) Let us know if you work it out.

Well, I started up an entire new installation of WinXP, and so far things have been going well. It must have been a driver or registry error.
Funny thing though; In one of my programs, it said "Detected likely faulty socket. Switching to socket safe mode". Does anyone know what this could be referring to?

seems like a PEBKAC error :cheesy:

seems like a PEBKAC error :cheesy:

Enlighten me

Little joke there from Dave it appears -- “Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair"

I am totally insulted and wish to settle this in a court of law. XP

I'll have to remember PEBKAC for making snide but undetectable remarks. Forgive me if snide isn't a word. Dictionary.com appears to be down right now. XD
I have to use Dictionary.com to validate any words I don't use often, and don't hear used often, because sometimes I make words up thinking I've heard them before. :cheesy:

Anyway, yes it was probably my fault, though I am not sure why. It's possible that it was caused by me installing Windows XP Pro over a fresh install of Windows XP Home. My Pro CD was not boot compatable, and my old Pro installation wouldn't boot up because I installed a new motherboard.
Or maybe its from using alot of old files from my old Pro installation. I've had viruses before. Maybe they effected something.
Or maybe its from me using the old registry.
Or maybe it was an actual hardware or driver collision.
Or maybe it was because my C: drive was really old (I installed this fresh one onto my newer, larger, D: drive)
Or maybe it was from me having to reinstall the LAN driver over and over because for some reason it would just stop working.
It could have been anything, but it appears to be fixed now.

I am worried about the "likely faulty socket" error that I got. Anyone care to shed a little light on what this could mean? I fear that it's referring to one of my RAM sockets or something.

In conclusion, I want to thank all the little pe-... oh.

PS: thanks dlh6213 for unlocking this topic AFTER I fix my problem. XD
And sorry about the rule breaking incident btw. Won't happen again. I originally just signed up to these forums to try to find a little help, so I... um... skipped over the rules and stuff... >_>
But I found that I really like imparting my knowledge of computers gained from years of breaking them upon other people. Now, if only I could find a way to do that FOR MONEY without having to resort to becoming a tech support desk jockey. :P

Ok, really, in summary, thanks for the help, thanks for being nice dlh6213, thanks for the funny acronym Dave, (though I do not approve of you buying preassembled computers XD), and I have associated myself with the rules.

UPDATE:
Ok, the weirdest thing just happened that made me lose my faith in this installation. I went to system restore to see how many snaps it took so far. I noticed I hadn't done one today (even if it is only 4:30 AM. I just want to be safe right now. I took me days to get this back up >_<), so I pressed 'back' and then selected 'Create a restore point' figuring I would set a defininte "This spot is safe" point. I press 'next' and WHAM I hear a little 'pfp' sound from my headphones, and my whole system restarts.
Then, as if that weren't disheveling enough for a man who just spent 3 days straight (no sleep, rare recreation periods, and even those were ruined by thoughts of a massive system crash hanging over my head), my OSes fail to boot. My BIOS instead runs a couple processes testing the LAN connections. I think to myself "Hmm... this isn't right. Did my LAN connections get set as my primary boot device?", so I go into my BIOS, and sure enough my master HDD wasn't being detected. I tried to auto-detect a few times and get nothing. Then, I remember I burnt a bootable HDD checking program to a CD (in an attempt to fix my previous problem), and I fired that up. THAT program detects my master HDD, but not the slave HDD that my fresh install is on! I'm really worried at this point, so I shut off my computer and check the connections. I boot up my computer again and everything functions fine... though that system restore point never got created, and I am too scared to try again... o_0

Any idea why that would happen?
As a precaution of my master HDD breaking down, I've copied my boot.ini file to my D: drive so that I can set it to master if needed. That will work, right?

This is certainly a whole lot of problems. I am hazarding a guess that you could have a faulty motherboard. A friend of mine has had a series of similar problems, a load of rebuilds, problems finding HDDs, random freezes. He took it into a shop, found some small motherboard problems, also a pierced cable underneath.

Could it be worth getting the mobo looked at? The socket error sounds like CPU, RAM, but five search engines couldn't elighten me, and also you had onboard hardware problems.

Just an idea, MMf

This is certainly a whole lot of problems. I am hazarding a guess that you could have a faulty motherboard. A friend of mine has had a series of similar problems, a load of rebuilds, problems finding HDDs, random freezes. He took it into a shop, found some small motherboard problems, also a pierced cable underneath.

Could it be worth getting the mobo looked at? The socket error sounds like CPU, RAM, but five search engines couldn't elighten me, and also you had onboard hardware problems.

Just an idea, MMf

I just got the motherboard 3 days ago. I installed it myself paying exquisite attention to minimizing damage. It's possible that the motherboard is faulty though. I'll keep a lookout for problems and post them here if I get any more.
For now, I'm just taking it slow. My experience from before I created a fresh install has made me very jumpy at everything that happens. For example, I was downloading a file, and while downloading it, running a program. All of a sudden the program froze and I immediately jumped to the conclusion "OH NO ITS HAPPENING AGAIN!", but 2 seconds later started up again. The file I was downloading completed and was being transferred to the downloads folder :P

I get a spook everytime the computer doesn't run completely smoothly. My lack of sleep for a few days is probably contributing to it though. After a couple of days without sleep, you start seeing things... o_0
It's actually pretty fun when you are in your right of mind and know nothing is there.
A couple days more though, and it starts getting creepy.
How long have any of you gone without sleep for? Share your experiences! :D

I am totally insulted and wish to settle this in a court of law. XP

I'll have to remember PEBKAC for making snide but undetectable remarks. Forgive me if snide isn't a word. Dictionary.com appears to be down right now. XD
I have to use Dictionary.com to validate any words I don't use often, and don't hear used often, because sometimes I make words up thinking I've heard them before. :cheesy:

Anyway, yes it was probably my fault, though I am not sure why. It's possible that it was caused by me installing Windows XP Pro over a fresh install of Windows XP Home. My Pro CD was not boot compatable, and my old Pro installation wouldn't boot up because I installed a new motherboard.
Or maybe its from using alot of old files from my old Pro installation. I've had viruses before. Maybe they effected something.
Or maybe its from me using the old registry.
Or maybe it was an actual hardware or driver collision.
Or maybe it was because my C: drive was really old (I installed this fresh one onto my newer, larger, D: drive)
Or maybe it was from me having to reinstall the LAN driver over and over because for some reason it would just stop working.
It could have been anything, but it appears to be fixed now.

I am worried about the "likely faulty socket" error that I got. Anyone care to shed a little light on what this could mean? I fear that it's referring to one of my RAM sockets or something.

In conclusion, I want to thank all the little pe-... oh.

PS: thanks dlh6213 for unlocking this topic AFTER I fix my problem. XD
And sorry about the rule breaking incident btw. Won't happen again. I originally just signed up to these forums to try to find a little help, so I... um... skipped over the rules and stuff... >_>
But I found that I really like imparting my knowledge of computers gained from years of breaking them upon other people. Now, if only I could find a way to do that FOR MONEY without having to resort to becoming a tech support desk jockey. :P

Ok, really, in summary, thanks for the help, thanks for being nice dlh6213, thanks for the funny acronym Dave, (though I do not approve of you buying preassembled computers XD), and I have associated myself with the rules.

i dont buy preassembled computers.i am a tech support desk jockey for hp pavilon/compaq presario/hp media center desktop lines.hence my handle.i actually don't have a rig at home.i spend all my time off from teching other peoples preassembled pc's. :D .

sorry forgot to finish reply,i spend all my time off fishing for salmon in beautiful british columbia canada.

Tech support eh? Doesn't that get annoying? That would be my main reason that I wouldn't want to work tech support.
Or do you have a good amount of free time when you aren't solving people's problems for them? For a lot of free time, I could stand it. Is it a good job? Are you planning to stay and try to advance up the corporate ladder?

I don't have much experience with corporate jobs, so forgive me if I'm being nosey. I'm just considering my choices for when I finish my education, and I'd like to learn as much as possible about them. :P

Tech support eh? Doesn't that get annoying? That would be my main reason that I wouldn't want to work tech support.
Or do you have a good amount of free time when you aren't solving people's problems for them? For a lot of free time, I could stand it. Is it a good job? Are you planning to stay and try to advance up the corporate ladder?

I don't have much experience with corporate jobs, so forgive me if I'm being nosey. I'm just considering my choices for when I finish my education, and I'd like to learn as much as possible about them. :P

depends on the call center,but over all the easiest job iv'e ever done.wage and benefits are good,but like anything could be more

Update for anyone who has the same problem as I had:
I think I found what caused me so much trouble. I just tried to format my c:\ drive, and just as it was about to complete, it gives me the message "Windows could not complete the format". So I go and check the event log, and sure enough there are a ton of errors in it all saying "The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block." That means that my C: drive got damaged somehow, and I need to replace it. (I think)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.