when i try and install programs i have download from the net eg. winamp, xfire (i dont have any trouble installing anything from cd). i get this error message.
"NSIS Error

The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete.
This could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download or a virus.

You may want to contact the author of this installer to obtain a new copy.

It may be possible to skip this check using the /NCRC command line switch (NOT RECOMMENDED)."

im running windows XP SP2. i have tryed every possible thing i can think of now even reformatting my harddrive. any help would be grately aprecated cause im just about going mad :mad:

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I am thinking that you may have a virus, or spyware, that may be preventing you from downloading.

I am thinking that you may have a virus, or spyware, that may be preventing you from downloading.

a virus that can survive a complete reformat of harddrive???

If you have a boot virus, then yes, a boot virus can survive a re-format, because it may be hiding in the master boot record. With a boot virus, you would have to zero out the drive, fdisk, format, and re-install your operating system. Zero filling a drive puts the drive back into like-new condition, and wipes all info from it. If you have re-formatted your hard drive, then I would guess you have already lost all the data that you would have wanted to save, so a zero fill will do you wonders.

You can download a zero fill program called boot and nuke here: http://dban.sourceforge.net/

You will need a floppy to download to, and boot your computer with it.

If you have a boot virus, then yes, a boot virus can survive a re-format, because it may be hiding in the master boot record. With a boot virus, you would have to zero out the drive, fdisk, format, and re-install your operating system. Zero filling a drive puts the drive back into like-new condition, and wipes all info from it. If you have re-formatted your hard drive, then I would guess you have already lost all the data that you would have wanted to save, so a zero fill will do you wonders.

You can download a zero fill program called boot and nuke here: http://dban.sourceforge.net/

You will need a floppy to download to, and boot your computer with it.

um... no... (it can survive a format, but not a reinstall of win2k/ or xp) windows will totaly destroy that mbr every time you install... have you ever installed linux? that's why you always install windows first!!!

also, you can rewrite your mbr with out reinstalling... its called fixboot. you can access that via the recovery console from the win cd.

anyway, do you have any download managers.... this could be causing the file to get corrupted. if not, maybe it was just a bad send, try deleting your cache (tools -> internet options -> delete files) or maybe try dling firefox and then try to redownload it

thank for the help. got it sorted now. 1 of my 2 lan pots is just screwed but the other 1 works and dosent corrupt everything. it took me 2 reformats 2 work that out :(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.