Ok ive had this computer that i built now for almost a year. most of that year it has been out of action with various problems. its high end - here are the specs
water cooled Athlon 64 FX-55, 2 6800 ultras in SLI, 1 gb corsair (i think) RAM, 300 gig seagate baracuda, A8N-SLI MB.

ok so ive always had problems with the computer not running like it should, slow sometimes and it hangs in games, when it obviously should not. but thats another topic. so i rebuilt it, reinstalled everything and it worked great for a few days. then i start DLing some songs and stuff, and now my main problem is that the boot sequence hangs, most of the time never reaching desktop. also, when i finally reach windows, nortons will crash when running a virus check. so its obviously a virus, right ?

the thing is the same thing happened before i replaced the hardware, because of dowloading stuff. but why is that ? its like my comp keeps getting the same virus and kills it. but why does it keep happening ? i mean i had nvidia firewall set to high and all the updates for nortons. but as soon as i start DLing a few songs, i get screwed. anyway, what should I do about it? re-format the HD and reinstall everything ? ive tried re-installing nortons and that doesnt help. any help appreciated here

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi, downloading songs from a p2p network is like a wide open door for viruses. There is no way you can stop them once ou go there. Your best bet would be to stop downloding and clean your computer. Download hijackthis - http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/ and post a log in the spyware forum. That will get you started in the process of cleanup.

btw: you did a little double posting ;)

-T

btw: you did a little double posting

Thanks for the heads up; dupe has been deleted.

Download hijackthis - http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/ and post a log in the spyware forum. That will get you started in the process of cleanup.

Right- there are a lot of very nasty infections out there which Norton alone can't deal with. If you want us to help you disinfect your system, do as tayspen suggests. Be sure to post your HJT log in a new thread in our Viruses, Spyware and other Nasties forum, not in this forum.

thanks for the help guys

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.