Be gentle with me, I'm a technoturkey! How I got this far amazes me!

The setup:

I have a Netgear wireless access point and router connected to my desktop machine by LAN cable. This router is 192.168.0.1 The Netgear unit is the DHCP server

All machines run XP, all patches applied. All have sufficient grunt, disk, etc

I've set up a second router, this time a Linksys, but with new firmware as a wireless repeater unit, with the same SSID as netgear. It's on 192.168.1.1. This is GREAT. I can roam. I needed this because my house has stupid walls that block signal, and I'm fed up with She Who Must Be Obeyed at All Times yelling at me because her mqachine just dot disconnected!.

The Problem:

After repairing my network connections on all connected machines, I can see within XP all machines connected to the (eg) Linksys, but not any connected to (eg) the Netgear unit.

I can ping from where I am (on ......1.4) to a machine on the netgear (....0.3) happily, and obviously tracert to it. Windows networking refuses to find it inside My Network Places) or by entering \\machinename at the start>run point.

I tried Add a network place. It "finds it", makes the connection after validating that it is shared (I know this because it refuses when a location is not shared), but, having found and added it, refuses to contact it!

All I want to do (!) is to share all my resources across my home network, sharing disks and printers as if they were on machine connected to the same, single router. And I wanttro be able to not care which physical router I'm connected to.

All ideas gratefully received. But please keep it newbie-simple!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Member Avatar for fatihpiristine

you need to configure routing and remote access on windows.

you need to configure routing and remote access on windows.

Sounds promising. Please aim me in the right direction. Remember I'm really in need of step by step stuff. I can probably "get it" if I know where to start

me? last 3 year i didnt do anything about this stuff :) what i remember it will not be enough

me? last 3 year i didnt do anything about this stuff :) what i remember it will not be enough

I so know what you mean! Touch it once, fix it and pray one never has to touch it again.

nope.. i turned on programming :)

The solution is ridiculously simple.

Set the Linksys DHCP status to "DHCP Forwarder" and all suddenly becomes as it ought to be.

Firmware on the linksys is DD-WRT v24 RC-4 (10/10/07) std

or you can just change the subnets to 255.255.0.0

or you can just change the subnets to 255.255.0.0

That's interesting. The "DHCP forwarding" alleged solution worked for 20 minutes and failed as soon as another machine switched on. With hindsight "it would have". IP addresses got confuzzled

Will let you know as soon as I can get back in to my linksys. Now where's that LAN cable?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.