I have two desktops connected via a wireless LinkSys router. They were running fine for about 6 weeks, but for the past 2 weeks both computers are experiencing the same problem. Both computers have XP, and the router is connected to DSL.
I can surf using IE for about 1-3 minutes. After this time, I can not open any more pages. I either have to click on the LinkSys icon and repair the connection (to get another 1-3 minutes) or wait around clicking refresh until the new page is displayed. The odd part is, I can play poker or talk on AIM even while IE isn't responding, as long as the poker table or AIM was connected before the problem started. If I try to switch tables during the problem it won't let me.
So the connection between the two computers never falters, and the DSL never cuts out (or the poker/AIM would stop also). I'm thinking that there is a problem with the routers settings, but I don't know anything about routers. What do you guys think?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

What is the exact model # of the Linksys router? If you give us that info we can probably give you some specific suggestions.

No problem. We have a LinkSys WRT54G router, I think it's version 5.0, but I'm not 100%.
In the basic setup, I changed the: "Keep Alive: Redial Period" from 30 seconds to 20 seconds. I think this helped a little, but I still have the same problem.

No problem. We have a LinkSys WRT54G router, I think it's version 5.0, but I'm not 100%.
In the basic setup, I changed the: "Keep Alive: Redial Period" from 30 seconds to 20 seconds. I think this helped a little, but I still have the same problem.

I hope you have gotten a solution however in case anyone else is having problems like this...

I had something similar happen with my Linksys BEFSR41 wired router. Changing the Keep Alive: Redial Period settings to 180 seconds took care of the problems I was having(router losing connectivity)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.