Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

I don't know if this would be the right section but it does have to do with a case of some sort I guess so this is where I am putting this thread. We are starting a program in our school where we go around to different events and stream live. It will be several times a week and all year long. The computer we use will need to be powerful with many connection possibilities. That is what brings me to this question. A laptop is easy to transport. It is made fairly tough and can be pretty fast if you are willing to put the money into it. On the other hand you don't have a lot of input capabilities. I was wondering if a desktop would be the best solution. It is going to be faster than a laptop (ex. a $1000 desktop will cost about $2000 for the same speed and power is what I have found out). So you can get a lot more for you money with a desktop. Then you also get a multitude of connection possibilities with a desktop and it is so much more upgrade friendly than a laptop. The problem with desktop is it's portability. I don't really know what I am looking for. Are there travel cases for desktop computers? What do you suggest we use? Does anyone have a link or something to lead me in the right direction? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

sounds like you may want something in-between, such as a "desktop replacement laptop". These types of laptops are usually larger, heavier, additional components, but still meets the portability requirements.

Where I work (at a software division of a major cell-phone manufacturer) all engineering workstations are now laptops. These are all dual or quad-core 3+GHz i7 processor systems w/ 8GB of RAM, WiFi (a/b/g/n), bluetooth, CD/DVD recorder, 320GB HD, eSata port, USB 2.0 and 3.0, HDMI and VGA video output, dual Intel/nVidia video controllers, etc. They are portable, and with a docking station a very good desktop replacement. Yes, a similarly configured desktop/deskside system will be a little less, but they will be a lot more ungainly to move around. Plus you have to deal with additional stuff like monitor, speakers, microphone, etc. When all is considered, I think the price will be a wash, and the convenience of the laptop will be immeasurably better.

I would suggest you to go for Laptop. A laptop is more easier to transport than a desktop. In organising such occasions, it is always preferable to use Laptops

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.