Hello all, I'm a new user to DaniWeb as of today, and am looking for some help with a business related issue.

Let me be as concise as possible here; what I would like to accomplish is creating a Windows XP system that is completely locked out to the user, except for 2 specific items. 1 of those being a internally hosted SharePoint Site that is in our local network, so therefore, access to IE but only for a single site address. The other is a program to get access to one single program.

That is it. No start menu, no ability to get to a command line, no right click "properties" options, nothing. just 2 icons on the desktop, one being the IE shortcut to our SharePoint site, the other to a single terminal program.

The idea behind this is to put it out into our manufacturing plant so that the shipping & receiving department can check the shipping schedule as posted on the SharePoint Site, and have access to a telnet based program to do the receiving of product into our inventory.

Now i know that there are software kiosk programs available, but i have read through many online forums and articles that have mentioned the ability to do this to the system without relying on external software. I was wondering if there is a few good people here who may have a greater understanding of the local machine policies and how they operate within a stand-alone windows XP environment.
For those of you who are able to help me out on this one, don't fret over coming up with a simplistic way of explaining things, I am quite knowledgeable with regards to the windows OS, but this gets into the realm that escapes me.

Thank you all in advance for any assistance that you can offer.

Cheers!!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Locking down a Windows box for your particular situation is just going to take a lot of trial and error with local group policy. I had to do the same thing with the moral computers on the military base I worked on. You should also look into a program call Deep Freeze. It restores a PC back to the state it was when "frozen" after every boot.

Locking down a Windows box for your particular situation is just going to take a lot of trial and error with local group policy. I had to do the same thing with the moral computers on the military base I worked on. You should also look into a program call Deep Freeze. It restores a PC back to the state it was when "frozen" after every boot.

Thanks very much. I will take a look into this program that you have mentioned. If you by chance have any leads to some other forum posts or white papers on how to modify the local policies without totally buggering up this box it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.