Hello!

I no longer use Symantec products , so is it safe for me to diable SymWMI service ??

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I think that file is related to Symantec's Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI). If you removed your Symantec products through the control panel, add/remove function, this file should also have been removed. You might go back and check in the add/remove programs listing and see if any Norton products are still listed.

Uninstalling the Norton WMI Update
When you uninstall all Norton 2002/2003/2004/2005 security products, the Norton WMI update automatically uninstalls with the last product.

To uninstall all Norton programs

1. On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Control Panel.
  2. Double-click the Add or Remove Programs icon.
  3. Look through the list for any of these programs:
    • Norton SystemWorks 2002/2003/2004/2005 (which includes Norton AntiVirus)
    • Norton AntiVirus 2002/2003/2004/2005
    • Norton AntiVirus Professional 2002/2003/2004/2005
    • Norton Internet Security 2002/2003/2004/2005
    • Norton Internet Security Professional 2002/2003/2004/2005
    • Norton Personal Firewall 2002/2003/2004/2005
  4. Select the first one that you see, click Remove, and follow the prompts.
  5. Restart the computer, if you are asked to do so.
  6. Repeat steps 1 through 5 for all other products that you see that are listed in step 3.

Only one Symantec product " Live Update " something remains. The problem is, when i try to uninstall that product, it says some other symantec products are also installed which should be uninstalled first. i scan the whole list but cannot spot another program. Whats wrong??

Sounds like you still have registry entries present which refer to the previously installed Symantec products. The Live Update thinks you still have them installed. You'll have to go to the Symantec support site to get specific instructions. They will need to know which products (i.e., Norton Anti-Virus) and which version (i.e., 2002, 2003, etc.). Then you can find the instructions specific to your situation. It will be a paper with step-by-step instructions identifying the exact register keys which you will have to locate and then remove manually. Be very careful to read the keys exactly so you don't remove one you shouldn't. A lot of them look alike and differ only by one or two characters. It would be a good idea to back up your registry before you do this, just in case. If you had more than one Symantec product installed (i.e., Norton Anti-Virus and Norton personal firewall), you will have to go through this procedure separately for each product, but once you have the instructions, you can edit the registry for all at the same time.

Go here for Symantec help: http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/home_homeoffice/select_product_ts.html?src=hho_us

Back Up the Windows 98/ME/2000/XP Registry

The Registry is the all-important database that tells Windows how to run. Before making changes to the Registry, back it up.
-- Click Start>>Run. Enter “regedit in the box (without the quotation marks) and click OK.
-- The Registry Editor opens. If My Computer is not highlighted, click it once.
-- In Windows 98, ME and 2000, click Registry>>Export Registry File. In Windows XP, click File>>Export.
-- Select a folder to store the backup. The default is My Documents.
-- Enter a name for the file (such as Registry Backup) and click Save.

To restore the Registry:

-- Double click the Registry backup file.
-- Click Yes>>OK.

Thanks. I will do that. But , just for knowledge, registry gets too bad and u cant boot, then , is there any way to restore registry, maybe, via DOS or something??

You should have an emergency boot disk or a start up disk. If your PC crashes, you can boot up from this disk and then restore your registry. You don't mention which OS you are using, but if you go here, you will find what you need to make a boot disk if you don't already have one.
http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-us&qu=emergency+boot+disk

Just for your info, if I remember correctly (I've done this before), when you get into the registry to get rid of the left over Norton stuff, every key will have some reference to "Symantec" or "Sym", so it won't be difficult. The only way your PC will crash is if you delete a wrong key and then, it may not crash, but simply disable some program you have installed.

Hi ev1...

I have a friend who rang me yesterday, she wants to kill Nortons completely...they uninstalled it but that lurky little LU keeps downloading updates and they want it removed completely as they are using a free AV which they are very happy with...

I'm going to this folder and gunna knock it off it's planet tomorrow...

c:\programs files\common files\symantec shared

Any comments please...I'd rather try this than go into the registry...??

Thanks Lil...

Cheers from Ozland...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.