Please help! When I click my volume control, it gives me an error message that says there are no active mixer devices available. I've gone through my device manager and it says everything's fine. I can hear sounds from my programs just fine, but if I try to play a file there's no sound. I played one file today and it was fine, but I tried to play another and it didn't work. Is there something I can do? :confused:

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Are your drivers updated?

Hi ... found this on another forum and it worked for me. Haven't tried it after reboot but it looks like a permanent fix.

Hope it helps

"I had this problem as well. It happened randomly in the middle of downloading music.
But thanks to some tech help from another site, the fix was pretty easy.

Go to Start --> Run, and type in services.msc.

A window will pop up with a list of services. Scroll down to Windows Audio. Right-click
and click on Properties.

Make sure that "Startup type" is set to automatic. Also, make sure, under "Service
status," start is selected. (Mine was somehow set on stopped. I clicked start and
-- voila! -- it worked.)

Hope this works for you, too."

i am not getting sound on my 2000 server its telling to install active mixer devices i try to reinstall the audio drivers but still no effect plz help me

Hi ... found this on another forum and it worked for me. Haven't tried it after reboot but it looks like a permanent fix.

Hope it helps

"I had this problem as well. It happened randomly in the middle of downloading music.
But thanks to some tech help from another site, the fix was pretty easy.

Go to Start --> Run, and type in services.msc.

A window will pop up with a list of services. Scroll down to Windows Audio. Right-click
and click on Properties.

Make sure that "Startup type" is set to automatic. Also, make sure, under "Service
status," start is selected. (Mine was somehow set on stopped. I clicked start and
-- voila! -- it worked.)

Hope this works for you, too."

i went to Start --> Run, and type in services.msc but i did not get windows audio option now what shall i do plz help me

I tried to fix a computer for 3 days with this problem ,i had to format and reload winxp .
i even deleted and disabled onboard sound and installed a pci sound card with the same results .remove recent installed program install by owner ,nothing tried all suggestions in this thread and other on this form like it nothing worked but a clean reinstall of windows for me .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.