Hi, I'm trying to connect a new workstation to a very small network (30 computers) The computers are linked via Ethernet and switch and all of them are sharing Windows XP.

The new workstation is also using Windows XP. When I setup the computer, I made it a member of the group, by choosing that on the workstation and I gave the computer a unique name.

I can connect to the Internet via this network, but when I try to see any of the other computers, it doesn't even show them and I get an error message stating that I'm not allowed on that workgroup, i.e. it is not accessable and to see the network administrator (which I me.) I tried in the looking in the mirror, but that didn't seem to help much! :-)

I feel like I'm missing something fundamentally. It is a peer to peer network, i.e. no server and what could be the problem?

Would anyone please help me?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

xp doesnt realy like it it theres more than 25 pcs on a workgroup

Hi there

change the ip address and change the unique name you gave the computer in the begining. for example if the computer name was jane make it jane1. XP has a small problem with changing the IP and not the user name. try it i am sure it will work

HTH

Darren
South Africa

Hi Darren
I tried...it didn't work..
it work for sometime...then it lost again.
some time it could find all pc in network except 1 pc.
pls help me out.
thx
Arif

Hi there

change the ip address and change the unique name you gave the computer in the begining. for example if the computer name was jane make it jane1. XP has a small problem with changing the IP and not the user name. try it i am sure it will work

HTH

Darren
South Africa

as ive said, XP Workgroups dont like having too many clients

If you have Pro then use a domain instead
if yo uhave home edition what you are dong is probably illegal as the eula states that no more than 5 pcs may share any single ones resources

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.