I re-booted my XP Home based computer after shutting it down normallty and received the whire screen with the message: "Active Desktop Recovery". I clicked on the "Restore my Active Desktop" and received the following error message, titled:

Internet Explorer Script Error
Line: 65
Char: 1
Error: Object doesn't support this action
Code: 0
URL: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Applications%20Data/microsft/Internet/Desktop.htt

Do you want to continue runnibg scripts on this page?
Yes/No

No matter whether I press Yes or No, nothing happens!
I removed a couple of programs I recently installed and re-booted,, with the same result.
I then went into System Restore and restored it to a status a couple of days ago. Still, the same result!
I ran antivirus programs, Windows Defender. Nothing was detected.
I need HELP, please.

Recommended Answers

All 101 Replies

are you using IE7 ?

Yes! Is this a problem?

Thanks for responding.

Ed

Hi

Try uninstalling IE 7 and restart. Try installing IE 7 again and make sure you are not connected to the Internet when you re-install

HTH
Darren
South Africa

desktop.htt pretty much controls the size and position of your desktop and the wallpaper you have on it, plus it includes a little activeX control to allow you to reshape it..... IE7 is a little bit incompatible with the old profile you may have had already.
Since this file is automatically generated by windows, the best fix is to delete the old one[s] and let windows create a new one. To do this open an explorer window and go to tools > folder options > view, and uncheck hide protected opsys files. Apply and ok. Then do a search in your sys drive [usually c: ] for desktop.htt. It will be in Docs and Settings\User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.
Delete them [it, whatever...]. Close the explorer window, rclick your desktop and click Refresh, and then go back and RECHECK that box. you really don't want those special files exposed all the time!!

desktop.htt pretty much controls the size and position of your desktop. IE7 is a little bit incompatible with the old profile you may have had already. To fix it go Start >Run, type and enter regedit
Go to this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\SafeMode\Components
Change the value of DeskHtmlVersion to zero instead of decimal 272.

Thanks, Gerbil. This clinched it! I have no idea what this means or what other 'side effects' are associated with this change, if any. However, at this point in time it works again!
Thank you so much!
Oded

I removed and reinstalled IE& without positive results. However. please see Gerbil's reply. His suggestion worked immediately.
Thanks to all of you who helped me!
Oded

Wow!! you were hot on the job, Oded!! Glad it worked... however i edited that post to provide what i consider to be a better fix, a true one, involving deleting any old desktop.htt files and letting windows create a new one.. The edited post has a fix which is a proper fix, not a hash job to tide you over. Explorer would rebuild a compatible desktop.htt file. Cheers..

desktop.htt pretty much controls the size and position of your desktop and the wallpaper you have on it, plus it includes a little activeX control to allow you to reshape it..... IE7 is a little bit incompatible with the old profile you may have had already.
Since this file is automatically generated by windows, the best fix is to delete the old one[s] and let windows create a new one. To do this open an explorer window and go to tools > folder options > view, and uncheck hide protected opsys files. Apply and ok. Then do a search in your sys drive [usually c: ] for desktop.htt. It will be in Docs and Settings\User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.
Delete them [it, whatever...]. Close the explorer window, rclick your desktop and click Refresh, and then go back and RECHECK that box. you really don't want those special files exposed all the time!!

Hi Gerbil,
I followed your suggestion in the edited version of your reply and found three instances of the file desktop.htt. The search highlighted them in blue and when I tried to delete them, the system froze! I had to go to Windows Task Manager, delete and reinstate Desktop.exe.
Should I go to each file and delete it manually? I don't understand why the system would freeze?
Thanks,
Oded

strange that it froze, oded.... you would have seen that there was an instance of desktop.htt for each user; deleting them should not have caused a problem. The particular .htt file for a user would be recreated when that user made a change to his desktop subsequently, say changing the colour, or the picture. But if your system is working fine already then the desktop file will still be rebuilt when you make any change.

Thanks again, Gerbil. I was able to delete the 3 files and a new one was created. Everything seems to be working just fine now with one exception:
When I right-click on the Start button (or, to that matter, anywhere on the desktop, the system freezes. I can only release it by either going to Windows Task Manager and stopping/starting Explorer.exe or rebooting. Would you have a solution for this one?
Oded

Groan.... is that a new problem?, one that surfaced since we forced the creation of a new desktop.htt file? If so, by any chance do you know at which stage? I'm sure it would not be due to this though.... If it is, try system restore and then work through again to pinpoint its first occurrence. For your peace of mind you could try resetting that dword from the key above to what it was [0x110], but that should not fix anything.
I have no solution yet, but i suspect an old contextmenuhandler file left over from from IE6 ....
[when you rclick on a file you open a context menu shell extension; the handlers add the various command files that you normally see - eg undo, copy, paste, select, various other contextual commands like scan..]

Hi Gerbil,
I am sorry I didn't explain it better. No, it is not a new problem that ocurred follwong the desktop.htt fix. This was an earlier problem which, during my search for a solution for, I encountered the desktop problem. I don't believe there is a relatioship between the two.

ah... since you're online.. another little thing and it's> ... WHOA!! did you really mean desktop.exe? no spelling error in a previous post, no 9?

I am not sure I understand. I said desktop.htt. And, what does the '9' refers to? Am I missing somrthing?
Thanks, Gerbil!

.. to quote"Hi Gerbil,
I followed your suggestion in the edited version of your reply and found three instances of the file desktop.htt. The search highlighted them in blue and when I tried to delete them, the system froze! I had to go to Windows Task Manager, delete and reinstate Desktop.exe." which is from post #9.
-which is the bit i am wondering about..... So, was it really desktop.exe? Ill assume you meant explorer.exe [desktop.exe is from a nasty trojan...]. But i think i cannot carry through on this problem - someone with more knowledge on shells and contextmenuhandlers etc [if that is the problem] had better pick it up for me.

Oh, I see. Mea culpa! No, I meant 'desktop.htt', not 'desktop.exe'. (Force of habit I guess). Anyway, this problem ocurred prior to any manipulation of the desktop as you recommended so I still wouldn't blame anything on it. Your recommendation worked beautifully and everything (other than the right-click on "Start") is well behaved.
Thanks,
Oded

Hi! I am having this same problem, but when I deleted the desktop.htt files, and edited the registry files as suggested, but no dice. Any other ideas?

In the immortal words of Emily Latella: "Never mind!"

When I remembered to re-start my computer the problem was fixed. Thanks for the advice!

Hello all,
I am new to this but felt I had to reply to this post.
There is a very simple 'cure' for this line 65 non supporting action problem as there is with many of these things. Right click the desktop and select properties, click settings, click identify, a large figure will appear on the screen, simply press ok and your problem has been cured.
Hope this works for you as it did for me.
Dave

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your reply. However, your idea brings about another problem which I posted elsewhere on this board: Every time I right-click on the Desk-Top, the computer freezes and I have to restart it. Thus, I can't proceed with your suggestion. No ideas as to how to repair this other problem were received to-date.
Thank you very much for your efforts in this regard,
Oded

Sorry I missed seeing this other problem. Have you tried removing MS upgrade KB908531?? May work after a restart.
Dave

Thanks again! No, I didn't try that. However, before I do try, could you, please, expand on why deleting this upgrade may help the problem?
Thanks,
Oded

Microsoft's patch adds a executable file called Verclsid.exe, which validates shell extensions before they are loaded by the Windows Shell or Windows Explorer. HP's Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon (Hpgs2wnd.exe) causes Verclsid.exe to stop responding. The problem is usually but not always connected with Hewlet Packard software and NVIDIA. Try it you can always reinstall it

Another thought. Try updating the NVIDIA driver in device manager (display adapters). This has been known to work.

Hi Daveee,
I tried both suggestions: I updated the Nvidia card driver - no improvment. I then went and deleted the MS upgrade KB908531 - No improvment.
In both cases, when right-clicking on any of the icons on the desktop, or right clicking on the Start button, the computer freezes.
Thanks, again, for your suggestions. May be someone can add his/her own ideas.
Oded

This may be worth reading:
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/368431-solved-right-click-any-file.html#post2665614

Dave

Eureka! We are getting close! I went to the site mentioned there, selected option 2 and downloaded Shexview.exe. I disabled all of the non-Microsoft Context Menu Handlers and re-booted. The problem remained: Every file (in Windows Explorer) or any icon (in the DeskTop) I right-clicked caused the computer to freeze and the sand glass appeared and stayed forever. I could still move it with the mouse but nothing else. I restarted and enabled all of the context menu handlers.
I then decided to go and disable all of the non-Microsoft elements listed (icon handlers, etc.) This time it worked! I went back and re-enabled them one by one until I found the culprit: It happened to be an Acronis True Image Shell Extension. I plan to contact Acronis and ask them about it.
Thank you so much for putting me on the right track! I don't believe I would have ever found the reason without your help.
I also want to take this opportunity and thank, again, all the people of this board who expanded effort on my behalf and tried to help me.
Oded

Hello all,
I am new to this but felt I had to reply to this post.
There is a very simple 'cure' for this line 65 non supporting action problem as there is with many of these things. Right click the desktop and select properties, click settings, click identify, a large figure will appear on the screen, simply press ok and your problem has been cured.
Hope this works for you as it did for me.
Dave

Hi Dave,

After resolving the "Right-click" problem (see post #28 on this board), I went back to your earlier suggestion quoted above. I right clicked the DeskTop (now I can!!) and selected properties/settings. The opened window is shown in the attachment (see "Attach Files", below). There is no "Identity" to click on...!
Am I missing something?
Oded

I have the same problem. Followed the suggested steps and deleted desktop.htt. I then tried to refresh Desktop, but nothing happened; I still get the Active desktop recovery/Script error warning.
Any idea what's going on?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.