Member Avatar for jamst149

So the title pretty much says what I'm trying to do. Not sure how to accomplish. I know there are programs out there (norton ghost, etc) but what I can't figure out is if they are made for doing what I am trying to do.

Do I need something like,

http://insidecomputer.stores.yahoo.net/la2tode3hadr.html

????

Hi jamst149,

They do exactly what you want. Personnally I use Power Quest's Drive Image. A great piece of software. :) You may also need an adapter IDE cable to connect the 2.5 drive to a 3.5 interface. :eek:

Regards
Eric132

Member Avatar for jamst149

I guess I am hoping someone might explain the process. I can't seem to figure out all the details.

Right now I have a 2.5" laptop HD. I want to clone that computer to the 3.5" SATA which will then go in a destop PC. So basically I am trying to clone that OS. Can I do that and use it on both pc's?

So I think I need 2 things, correct? 1) a way to connect the laptop to the presumably bare SATA HD. 2) a software program like the 2 mentioned so far that will then clone it via the cable to the SATA.

So it would seem the easiest way to do this would be to buy a usb to sata cable?

Hi jamst149,
It's not just as simple as that.
If you were to clone the drive over unto a different PC then when you would re-start the PC, Winblows would find lots of new hardware and may get itself into a bit of a twist. It would be looking for driver discs for all the new internal devices in the PC which you would need to have at hand.
A simpler way may be to install a new OS onto the PC (not the laptop) and by means of a USB cable and HUB or even a (1Gb) USB Pen Drive be able to transfer all the required files that you want over from the laptop to the PC.
When you install say WIN XP onto a new drive it automatically installs all the drivers for the new found hardware from the install CD.

regards
Eric132

Once you have put Winblows and your applications onto the PC you could use a 1Gb USB pen drive to transfer the required data files.

Regards

Eric132

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.