And not a minute later. Hello I have crappy system. Windows 98 in a E-machine ( remember them, lets not go there), Pentium Celeron 600m computer. I have had this for years and do not have a cd burner and my A drive floppy doesnt work. I have a lot of text documents and briefcase items I saved though.

How can I transfer those documents and briefcase Items from Win 98 on to a new computer and operating system ?

And if possible could you just blurt out a system you like ( i.e Dell,Gateway etc.) and the O.S you like. I would like something fast 2 gigish or so. I want to use it for Internet, video editing software and would like a cd/dvd burner in it..

Thank you very much

cbk

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

There's many ways you can transfer data. The easiest (and maybe the cheapest) is to use a network card. You simply connect a cross-over cable between two network cards, and you've got a simple network wired.

Set up the cards with TCP/IP, using manual addresses, (one will be 192.168.10.1, the other 192.168.10.2, both with subnet masks of 255.255.255.0) and they should see each other. If both cards are 100 mbit, you'll be able to transfer the entire hard drive, if you wish, in a matter of about half an hour. If it's 10 mbit, set it up to copy and go to bed or watch TV or something... ;-)

Crossover cables can be purchased rather inexpensively at http://www.computergate.com You can also get NICs there if you need them.

(Computer Gate is one of the cheapest places I've found to get network cables. They're equal quality to what I have assembled myself, if not better.)

If the new computer comes with Windows XP you can use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard. Please click HERE for more information about this utility. :)

Thank you Bear and PuckDropper that was useful info and I'am glad to know that I can easily transfer. HP, I'll check into it.

Of course the easiest way of all is to rip the hard drive out of the old system, bung it in the new system as a second hard drive, copy the data files across and then format it to be used as extra storage space ;)

Of course the easiest way of all is to rip the hard drive out of the old system, bung it in the new system as a second hard drive, copy the data files across and then format it to be used as extra storage space ;)

Thats what I was going to suggest ,as its what i do all the time with customers computers!

Of course the easiest way of all is to rip the hard drive out of the old system, bung it in the new system as a second hard drive, copy the data files across and then format it to be used as extra storage space

Well, fastest... Sometimes you can't open the case, or you don't want to risk potentially messing it up. I remember how nervous I was opening the cases of my computer the first time. (Now, I don't even know WHERE the case is!)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.