Should I upgrade my Windows XP with SP2?

What are the pros and cons of doing that?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

well the pros are:
better internet security
able to deactivate your antivirus and firewall via control panel
new windows updates
and of course a cool little blue light going across at boot screen

cons:
you could have gotten the same internet security with mozilla firefox
more annoying pop ups in the task bar
has been proven to make your comp worse
and usually brings out hidden viruses on your comp

So updating to sp2 is not good for your computer but eventually you are going to have to anyways just get ready to tweak it. I think that if you don't want to upgrade to sp2 in the next 6 months then don't. Because the new windows is set to release in 2006 so there would be no need.

Well, the pros are a more secure system and a few added features here and there. The cons is if the installation is done wrong, then you might run into problems. Before installing SP2 do a complete Spy and Adware scan, perferably with Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy. Cross check your programs with the list here to see if any of your programs will have conflicts. Also get the LATEST drivers for all your hardware before downloading Sp2.

In my opinion, there are more pros than cons. I have done about a dozen XP-SP2 installs with no problem. In fact, I have written an article about this very subject. Please read it carefully!

There have been a lot of problems reported with xp sp2 but I am of the opinion that it is probably better to upgrade to sp2 than not. Just be ready to deal with some issues. And in the interest of maybe helping someone else, I just resolved the problem of my Canon Multipass C5500 not initializing after xp sp2 was installed. Canon's response to my issue was to find monitr32.exe and set it to compatibility mode for windows 95. It seems to be working so far. I will only consider it a sure solution once I have rebooted several times, though.

MS is constantly updating XP so if you want the latest updates, then you are forced to get SP2...Granted the initial version wasn't so good, eventually it will even out. Without SP2, you won't be getting anymore updates, but thats your choice to make.

MS is constantly updating XP so if you want the latest updates, then you are forced to get SP2...Granted the initial version wasn't so good, eventually it will even out. Without SP2, you won't be getting anymore updates, but thats your choice to make.

Actually, I just did a "Custom Update", and I updated my SP1a box up to the most recent updates, some were even released after SP2.

Microsoft is going to keep updating for SP1, but who knows for how long. There are tons of companies who have no interest whatsoever in upgrading to SP2, as they've often implemented solutions to deal with the insecurites inherent in Windows XP SP1a.

yes you may upgrade it with sp2. but before doing it just remove all viruses,all malwares,adwares,and like these.you will never be distrubed with win xp pro sp2.
it is just updated files of sp1 and some normal securties for the windows by windows.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.