Hi all, i just got this 256mb flash disk but have a problem! when i insert it it doesnt show up in my computer, however when i type "F:\" into the explorer window it shows the relevant files! one time it automatically scandisked before windows booted, and started to work again. I want it to show up in my computer so i can go to properies->tools and disk check! how can i check the disk?

thx in advance

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

What OS do you have and what brand is the flash drive?

Not sure why it isn't showing up in 'My Computer'. Perhaps you need to install Windows Updates? There are some that relate to USB. Updating the motherboard chipset drivers wouldn't go astray either.

But if the thing shows up in Windows Explorer, you can do the job from there. Ensure that the Folder list is on view at left, expand the entry for 'My Computer', and if you see the flash disk there, right-click on its entry and choose 'Properties'. On the 'Tools' tab you'll find the functions you want to run.

But if the thing shows up in Windows Explorer, you can do the job from there. Ensure that the Folder list is on view at left, expand the entry for 'My Computer', and if you see the flash disk there, right-click on its entry and choose 'Properties'. On the 'Tools' tab you'll find the functions you want to run.

thx for tryin, but ive already done it, and no luck :( ahh well! piece of crap no only turns on then immediatley turns itself off :@

HI TO ALL!..I got this problem with my 1gb Kingmax flash drive..my other stored files were lost esp.my videos,photos and music.it wont appear on the monitor I already try 3 PC but still it does..and when I checked the properties.the memory is being occupied but I can only see one file..Im not sure if my files are hidden or corrupted,but when I scan it theres my files but wont appear on the PC..can somebody help me through this?..I really need those files back again!..pls.pls.tnx.

what you can do buddy is foramt your flash and after that use a tool that will undelete the files from the flash and see if it solves your prob.only do so once you have a dedicated tool for the job.
Im done here at work so ill catch up with you 2morrow and maby help you with a gr8 tool if that is the route you gonna follow

I usually have to close My Computer and then open it again to see my flash drive.

Or try View/Refresh.

Windows Explorer, My Computer, My Documents, My Pictures, and Recycle Bin are all the same program. It just displays a different name and different attributes, depending on where it is pointed.

are you sure you do not have another drive maybe a hdd partition or a mapped network drive with the same letter as your flash disk. ie. F:? this usually causes the flash disk not to be accessed through the "my computer" .If there's another drive by that letter i.e F you'll have to use Disk Management to change the Drive letter for the Flash disk. you can give it drive letters H: to Z:. Good luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.